11.13.2006

WEEK 1: About Me

I am Erwin Lemuel G. Oliva, a Filipino journalist working for online news portal INQ7 Interactive Inc. I write about technology most of the time. But I also do politics (especially on elections), business features, science, and youth-oriented stories. I've been a journalist since 1995.

Just like some of my classmates in Ateneo Center for Journalism, I'm an "accidental journalist." I started out with the goal of becoming a musician (read rockstar). But my dreams were shattered when I flunked an audition in a local college of music. Frustrated, I moved on and found myself writing for an obscure youth magazine (I couldn't remember the name until today). But it was my first break in writing, although that job did not last long. Eventually, I found a "real" writing job in a medical magazine. Published every month, I was assigned to chase medical doctors, organizations, and health officials. I graduated subsequently to writing feature stories, including one on "Bangungot" or Sudden Unexplained Death Syndrome, which was a myterious illness killing young Asian males in their sleep.

From medical journalism, I moved to technology journalism. I wrote for a local computer publication and submitted contributions to PC Week Philippines and the defunct Newsbytes.com of Washington Post online. In 2000, I was asked to join INQ7 as tech reporter.

Briefly, I'm married with two lovely daughters. I grew up in Baguio City, the summer capital of our country. I was named after German general Erwin Rommel, also known as the "Desert Fox."

No comments: